Why in news?
Recently, The Indian Knowledge Systems, under Education Ministry, has developed 6 indoor games that are rooted in indigenous knowledge; these will be introduced in schools from the next academic year
More on news:
- Sarp-Rajju and five other indoor games have been developed by Indian Knowledge Systems (IKS).
- An innovation cell founded at the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) in 2020, under the Union Ministry of Education, to promote interdisciplinary research on aspects of indigenous knowledge.
- The games have been divided into three segments: dice-based, strategic, and those based on engagement. By the end of the year, 15 games are likely to be launched.
- This is in keeping with the ministry’s focus on the shift from rote-based to fun-filled learning that is one of the themes of the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020.
- The aim is to promote creativity and a multi-faceted growth.
- These indoor games will be introduced to school children in the next academic year, under the Bhartiya Games programme that has already launched 75 outdoor games from different parts of the country in the current school year.
- Some popular ones are Langdi-Taang (hopscotch), javelin throw, Patang Uddayan (kite flying), Seeta Uddhar (prisoner’s base), Mardani Khel (a form of martial arts).
- Some indoor games have been included in the Jadui Pitara (magic box), a play-based learning programme tailored for children between 3 and 8 years.
- The programme, available in 13 languages, was launched by Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan last year, and has been developed under the National Curriculum Framework (NCF), one of the key components of the NEP.
- The Jadui Pitara comprises playbooks, toys, posters, flash cards, and indoor games.
About Indian Knowledge system:
- Indian Knowledge Systems (IKS) is an innovative cell under Ministry of Education (MoE) at AICTE, New Delhi.
- It is established to promote interdisciplinary research on all aspects of IKS, preserve and disseminate IKS for further research and societal applications.
- It will actively engage for spreading the rich heritage of our country and traditional knowledge in the field of Arts and literature, Agriculture, Basic Sciences, Engineering & Technology, Architecture, Management, Economics, etc.