Why in news?
Recently, The Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India has introduced a new scheme “Marketing and Logistics Development for Promotion of Tribal Products from North -Eastern Region (PTP-NER)” for the benefit of Scheduled Tribes of Northeastern Region.
- The scheme has the vision to strengthen livelihood opportunities for tribal artisans through increased efficiency in procurement, logistics and marketing of tribal products from North Eastern States.
- The scheme will apply to the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim.
- The scheme PTP-NER will facilitate tribal artisans to avail opportunities of enhancing income through the provision of backward and forward linkages through incubation support, aggregation, skill and entrepreneurship development, sourcing and procurement, marketing, transportation and publicity.
- As a part of this scheme, it is planned to initiate empanelment of tribal artisans from North Eastern Region by organizing 68 Tribal Artisan Melas (TAMs) during the month of April –May, 2023 at various districts of North eastern Region.
- TRIFED, the nodal agency under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, continues to strive in endeavors to improving the quality of the life of the tribal people, while preserving their age-old traditions.
- The PTP-NER scheme is fully funded under the Central Sector Scheme of the Government of India and a budget of around Rs 143 crores have been allocated towards this scheme for implementation.
- The Union Minister also said that the Prime Minister, considering the importance of the Northeast region in the development of the Country, had earlier launched the “One District One Product” Scheme to make a district known for its product.