Why in news?
Recently, Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister launched the SATHI (Seed Traceability, Authentication and Holistic Inventory) Portal and Mobile App to deal with the challenges of seed production, quality seed identification, and seed certification.
- It has been developed by the NIC in collaboration with the Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare on the theme of ‘Uttam Beej – Samriddh Kisan’.
- SATHI portal is an important step in this direction. When its use starts right at the grassroot level, it will prove to be a revolutionary step in the field of agriculture.
- SATHI portal will ensure quality assurance system, identify the source of seed in the seed production chain.
- The system will consist of integrated 7 verticals of the seed chain - Research Organisation, Seed Certification, Seed Licensing, Seed Catalogue, Dealer to Farmer Sales, Farmer Registration and Seed DBT.
- Seeds with valid certification can only be sold by valid licensed dealers to centrally registered farmers who will receive subsidy through DBT directly into their pre-validated bank accounts.